Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Update on the sugar addiction kicking attempt: poor effort so far.

But wait, wait, hang on a second before you start throwing those stones. In my defence, I was totally derailed by Easter. Totally. I mean - it's just all about chocolate isn't it? What other holiday do you have where it is expected that you will give chocolate to everyone (and receive heaps of it also!)? Think about it, think about the other major present giving days during the year.

First off there's Valentine's Day, where (if you're lucky) you'll get some pretty flowers - possibly also chocolates, but the flowers are the main thing. Then there's your birthday - where the sky's the limit, chocolates could be included but obviously iPods, diamonds and BridgeClimb vouchers are the easy choice there. And then Christmas, well probably chocolates could be on hand, but this is really your chance to revisit any of the options you missed for the birthday presents. But Easter? It's just about sugar!

So I've been investigating new things to replace chocolate with. Unfortunately sunflower seeds and pepita's (although healthy and nutritious) just don't have the same magic. I'm trying to cut sugar out in other areas too - like choosing wholemeal pasta instead of white pasta, multigrain bread instead of white bread etc.

But the biggest help so far? This fantastic book my boyfriend bought me. I think even just the title makes me feel better!


It's so good. She talks about a whole heap of different ways to lift your mood without having to reach for the chocolate! Click here to read a few random pages.

It's good to smile also. Thank you for the wonderful, wonderful emailers who have been sending me fun random stuff. Keep it coming, it's so good for my heart :-) (So are comments, hint hint)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

With a birthday list like that I'd better get saving! ;-)

Chris

Sare said...

Hey lady..

Just wanted to leave a little note for you to say that I think you're doing a champion job of kicking the sugar.. and although we joke about it, I am totally impressed that there has been no toy throwing and you are still just as lovely to hang around as you always have been!

Anonymous said...

Well droppiing sugar is a mission I agree as anyone who Knows me will know, Me and chocolate are, sorry WERE, Very very close friends but one dose of Diabetes kinda kicks that whole thing out the door. But even with Doctors and nurses yelling at me Easter was still a chore I feel your pain, literally. And think of it, I live in NZ home of Whittakers peanut slab arguably the best choc bar ever! What a mission :-( but we will make it! Good luck with the sugar not that I believe in luck but what the hay!

Clovergirl said...

Chris, only 131 days to go ;-) ;-)

Saaraah - thank you! Althgouh to be honest, you're probably bearing the brunt of most of my bad moods!

Filipo! Good to see you hear mate! I hear your pain re the Whittakers chocolate... ;-)

Katy Snowball said...

Hey Amy what about my advice in eating fruit for the natural fructose? I haven't had a comment back for that!

Clovergirl said...

Eating fruit for the natural fructose? Psh! Katy you might as well tell me that I could watch the American version of The Office instead of the British one!

You see my point there?