Sunday, April 02, 2006

Buddy Bears

Well, let's confess straight up - in an uncharacteristic move by me, I didn't read the whole information sign thing, so I can't totally explain the purpose behind these brilliant bears. I can tell you that they are brilliant though, and I think that's good enough.

There is a Buddy Bear from every nation in the UN - each country picks an artist to decorate the bear, and they tour every UN country. We stumbled across them just near Circular Quay one sunny day. Giant teddy bears and a camera? In my book that's a recipe for fun!



Shelley needed to kiss this bear...




I found the British one and couldn't figure out it's crazy headdress, but loved it anyway...




Emma loved the NZ bear...





Bears as far as the eye could see!

They were all so imaginatively decorated! I loved the Canada one, which had pieces of smashed teacups and saucers on it (with flower patterns still visible!) and was a homage to the mothers of Canada. The Serbia - Montenegro bear, which had bullet holes in it (honest!). The USA bear, which had the big spiky headdress like the Statue of Liberty. The Moldova bear - which had a world map on it's belly and a sign saying "Where's Moldova?" and an arrow pointing to it. (Entertaining and instructive!)

I tell you - if you're going to have an exhibition touring the world - I consider having giant teddy bears as an excllent idea.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

WELCOME BACK!!!!! How cute are those Bear bums all in a row? It's like the teddy bear's picnic out there.