Saturday, January 28, 2006

Firewalls... cursed firewalls....

Sorry for the lack of posts of late. There is a mightily powerful firewall at work that means I can't access my blog! I don't have a computer at home now that I've moved to the Cottage full time - although I'm thinking of buying one. I'm now blogging at *sob* a public library! Oh how the proud have fallen!
Work is going great, I'm really liking it there - much more than I thought I would! We had an Australia day party on Wednesday - a spit roast, free wine and beers, Sara Lee desserts... can't argue with that! Thursday was a public holiday so we weren't at work, and then on Friday - one girl from my office was on holidays and one called in sick, so there were just two of us, with twice the amount of work due to the public holiday - BAM - welcome back! We didn't stop all day, no lunch, no coffee break, no anything!
Speaking of coffee breaks - there's this other excellent thing about work that I've been dying to tell you all! So we're not really very close to any food shops, which I was worried about when I first started - that I would keep forgetting to bring my lunch and I would have to starve! Listen to how beautifully I was proven wrong...

About 10am each day, we get a phone call saying 'the Coffee Lady is here!' and it's this lady with a van, with a big proper coffee machine in the back! She pulls up just outside the office door and everyone lines up to get their cappucinos and hot chocolates (no froth!). She opens the sliding door in the van and there's a little bar fridge with cold drinks, banana bread, sandwiches. She has a little hot oven in the back with sausage rolls and quiches... how marvellous is that!

And then around 11.00 one of the guys from the warehouse will come up and shout 'the Chinese Man is here!' and, sure enough, there's a man with another van, and it's full of those big styrofoam catering boxes - and they have all these boxes of hot chinese food that he's cooked up in his shop! He has noodles and stir-frys and omelettes and spring rolls and all sorts of goodies!

And then at about 11.30 we hear one of those novelty horns, and we get an email saying 'If anyone is still hungry, the snack truck is here!' and we look outside and there's the Snack Truck lady with (not just a van!) a whole TRUCK full of goodies! Sandwiches and foccacias and pies and salads and drinks and chocolates and just about anything you could wish for.

So I've forgotten my lunch a couple of times - funnily enough I was totally fine :-)

(And have I mentioned lately that there is a pool out the back? Yeah, just thought I'd bring that up again!)

No comments: