Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Random Acts of Kindness: 7 day challenge

Last week some friends and I had a 7 day challenge. We had to do one random act of kindness every day. This was so much fun! It really made me nicer (for a week!) as I found I was really looking for opportunities to bless people without them asking.

Here's a list by day, of the random ways we made the world a bit nicer...

Mon:
"Gave chocolate at team night to loads of people around me"
"Made dinner for my mum"
"Couldn't think of anything kind that I did today so will have to do 2 things on Tuesday!"

Tues:
"Cleared up the kitchen for mum"
"Complimented the check out lady on her beautiful earrings"
"Gave someone from my connect a lift from the station without being asked. Hard to think of things isn't it!"
"Drove friend from work to shopping mall near my house so she could get a new phone then drove her home. This is fun!"
"Ironed my brother-in-law's work shirt this morning"


Wed:
"Last night I ran after a guy who walked past our shop with 4 cups of coffee to give him a bag to carry it cause his hands were burning"
"Stayed back at work for an hour and did my colleages filing. I'm getting the hang of this!"
"Spent 20 mins sorting out the photocopier at work. Photocopied a booklet for my colleagues which though they might find useful. Told a couple of ladies at the advice centre that I help at that they looked much younger than their age. They smiled!"
"I lent a book I was busy reading to the girl in the next shop"

Thu:
"Paid the toll for the car behind me on the way to Leadership Vision Night! That's my best one yet!"
"Cheered up the receptionist when I went to the dentist after she'd just dealt with an angry patient on the phone."
"Drove friend home from work at lunchtime so she could get her passport."
"Selflessly ate all the toffee that was left on the table at work so nobody would get a toothache, does that count??"

Fri:
"Prayed for a friend after being sounding board at work and took another friend home after the annual Hillsong rugby match"
"Let an old couple push in the queue at the airport in front of me!"
"I leant my bunny ears to a doctor for 'Wear It Pink' day!"
"Did the washing up for mum"
"Brought morning tea for my colleagues"
"I ran down to daycare, (about 30 metres away from outpatients where I was working, and pressed the red button on the Lobster that sings + dances to "Rock the boat baby". (I may have even borrowed the singing roses in a flower pot, and got a little kid to press the button.) (6 times)"

Sat:
"I spoke to a friend for 1 hour on the phone instead of getting ready for a party"
"Pulling faces for a friends daughter to make her laugh"
"Bought dinner for a friend"
"Told my sister something lovely that someone else had said about her (she cried with happiness!)"

Sun:
"Taking a friend to the movies as a birthday treat"
"Bought lunch for two friends!"
"Fed a hungry kookaburra (birds need kindness too!)"

I love the idea of making the world a kinder place!

Have you committed a random act of kindness? Post a comment.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll have to try this one. Good on you.
Dad

Anonymous said...

Shouldn't acts of kindness be done anonymously and not be broadcasted so that everybody can see how good you are? Because then it kind of loses its grace. Just a thought.

Clovergirl said...

Ooh, an anonymous criticism. Not kindness.
It doesn't hurt to get together and support each other in achieving a goal. Especially not when the goal is to make other people happy!
I bet you're from signposts.
Why don't you try to leave a kind comment on someone's blog today as your random act? You don't have to report back here, you can stay anonymous ;-)