Monday, March 05, 2007

43 Things


You might have noticed on the side of my blog (scroll down and have a look) a funny list called 43 Things. It's a lovely site I've been spending a bit of time at lately.

The premise is this:
" “I am doing 43 things”
People have known for years that making a list of goals is the best way to achieve them. But most of us never get around to making a list. 43 Things is great for that! Make a list on 43 Things and see what changes happen in your life. Best of all it’s a way of connecting with other enthusiasts interested in everything from watching a space shuttle launch to grow my own vegetables. So the next time someone asks you, “what do you do?” you can answer with confidence, “I am doing 43 things!”.
Why is it called 43 Things?
Everything needs a name. We think 43 is the right number of things for a busy person to try and do. Why not more? It’s too much. Why not less? You can do less, but it is still called 43 Things."

So if you go onto the home page, there's a list of all goals that other people have put in that day. The larger the goal appears, the more people have added that to their list. You can add goals that you like, or you can make your own ones. Some of the goals are crazy and make me laugh, some of them are inspiring and make me dream, some of them are ones that I've already accomplished, which makes me happy!

One of my favourite things about the site is that people can give you 'cheers' if they think you've made a good goal. You can write entries about your progress on a goal, and people might write and give you tips, or advice, or just give you cheers, which is nice :-)

I came across this list today which shows most popular goals, and how many people have that goal on their list. I've pasted the top 15 here, but if you have a few minutes, check out the rest and see if any of them inspire you. The further you go down the list the crazier they become!

1. lose weight 19479 people
2. stop procrastinating 15398 people
3. Fall in love 13115 people
4. write a book 12730 people
5. be happy 11609 people
6. Get a tattoo 10299 people
7. drink more water 10161 people
8. go on a road trip with no predetermined destination 9689 people
9. get married 9560 people
10. travel the world 8919 people
11. see the northern lights 8615 people
12. Kiss in the rain 8431 people
13. Take more pictures 8370 people
14. Learn Spanish 7945 people
15. Save money 7483 people


Have you got many goals?

5 comments:

Sare said...

Ok.
So I don't want to naysay (you know how I feel about that) but to the 15398 people who would like to stop procrastinating... maybe they are getting a little too into the list thing. Surely going on a website making lists about things you would like to do is actually a form of procrastination itself, and it actually preventing you from doing the things that you wanted to do in the first place?
Like I said.. don't want to naysay.. but it's just a thought.

Clovergirl said...

No, it's good Sare. One of my goals is 'Stop procrastinating, or at least procrastinate constructively'. Which I think is an admirabel sentiment, but I'm not sure how I could ever actually prove that I've achieved or failed at this goal! Because surely procrastinating constructively is relative? If I spend 30mins blogging instead of writing a budget, who's to say that's constructive or not?
Who!!
(Well, okay, so maybe it's not constructive, but you know I love blogging, so let's go with that)

Clovergirl said...

Admirabel.
Damn.
I hate that you can't edit comments after you've posted them. What's that typo going to do to my reputation?!

Amy to world: don't judge me on my typos!!

Anonymous said...

there is a quote by somebody (who is unbenowenced to me) which goes something like this... 'time wasted having fun isn't time wasted'

thought you might like that!

btw, i have been reading your blog for a while now. Its great, you have an awesome sence of humor!

Clovergirl said...

I do love that quote! That sums up my philosophy quite well I think!

Thank you anon :-) That's made my day!

Do you have a blog I can check out?