Wednesday, July 19, 2006

The oldest jokes ever

I work in customer service. I've worked in customer service for years and years - I love it, I'll be in customer service for the rest of my life! I love being able to help people with problems, give them answers to questions, and I even love the grouchy customers. I like the challenge of being able to help them out too and maybe even make their cranky little day a bit smilier :-)

But the one thing that really makes me weary? The jokes, the lame jokes people, they have to stop.

If a customer service person asks you a question? Just answer it, don't try to be funny, chances are they've heard it a hundred times before and didn't even laugh the first time.

I'll list a few of the (MANY) examples, just so you can strike them out of your repetoire...

Me, at the end of the call: "Is there anything else I can help with?"
Customer: "Well, not unless you have next week's lotto numbers...!!!"
Me: "Ahahah."
(This is entirely not funny.)

Me, while working on a pie counter: "Would you like sauce with that?"
Customer: "Don't you think I'm saucy enough??!"
Me: "Ahahah."
(This is not clever at all.)

Customer: "I need help with my mobile account/mobile bill/mobile phone"
Me, while working for a mobile phone company: "May I have your mobile number?"
Customer: "Oh.... I don't remember it... well, I don't phone myself do I??!!!"
Me: "Ahahah."
(You probably don't write to yourself either but I bet you know your address)

Me, while working in a call centre: "Welcome to C0mmonwealth Bank/Testra Shop/B@rd Australia, this is Amy, how may I help you?"
Customer: "What? What do you mean? How did I get through to AAMI? I called the bank!"
Me: "Ahahah."
(This is taking stupid to a whole new level)

So now here's my plea: have your details ready; know your account number; tell me quickly but clearly what the problem is so I know how to direct your call or help you - I don't need your life story first; don't shout at me that you spoke to someone else and they were rude to you - odds are I'll side with my colleague and immediately judge you as a tosser; be polite - it will probably get you further; speak clearly; don't ask me if I can 'do you a deal' on a price - because that's likely to make me try my hardest to put the price up; don't make rascist remarks while on the phone to me (the number of people who say 'Thank God you're not Indian!' used to PERPLEX me); don't talk over me; don't ask me a question and then not listen to the answer; when I say my name at the start of the call write it down - there's nothing more annoying than someone calling back and saying 'I don't remember who I spoke to, it was some girl' and I have to say 'Er.. that was me remember??'; if I don't know the answer I'll find out for you so DON'T JUMP DOWN MY THROAT STRAIGHT AWAY!

Right - so got that?

Good, now you're equipped to call me ;-)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG I'm crushed! You're telling me that I'm not funny???? Oh no. My world has just crumbled.
I'm gonna have to find a whole new identity.
*sigh* just when you think you have it sorted.

Clovergirl said...

Phoenix, you are not telling me that you use these lame old jokes???

tato fantastico said...

okay... someone needs a hug!!!! i love the address one thats funny. you are definitely a funny amy, but i will be sure not to be silly on the phone again. i learnt not to be silly in a restaurant coz they spit in your food.. they really do.

Anonymous said...

But you know what is funny? When you work at The Body Shop, and people come in and say. . .
'Is this where I buy a new Body?'
Ahahaha.