Saturday, December 31, 2005

New Years Eve and me

So today I was remembering what I'd done on previous New Years Eve's. Got any stories better (or worse!) than mine? Drop me a comment and try to top these!

Like when I was 17, and 3 of my friends and I decided to sneak into the Bateau Bay pub illegally, as we were underage. We got stopped by a security guard on the way in, and the 3 of us who didn't have fake ID's pretended that we'd all 'conveniently' forgotten them. The security guard didn't believe us, but we snuck in through the beer garden anyway! I ended up getting so extremely drunk that I was repeatedly, violently and horrendously ill, and spent the first few hours of the new year with my head (so very literally) down a toilet bowl at my friends place at Chittaway. Good times.

Or when I was 18 (or 19?) and I went to some club down on the Peninsula with my then boyfriend. The club had hired these sexy salsa dancers, and some guys breathing fire! It was pretty cool, until my very disaster-prone bf somehow got some of the gasoline that the fire-breathers were using in his eye and we had to leave.

Or the NYE that I spent in Newcastle where I had a cute cowgirl hat on and lots of glitter, and everyone kept calling me a cowboy! I only remember drunkenly yelling at people all night "I'm a COWGIRL DAMMIT A COW GIRL!" (Possibly I was also just yelling this randomly at innocent passers-by, but that's a little blurry now)

And also the year where my dad told me that he was planning to stay home all night so that he was available if I needed a lift anywhere (bless you dad!) but I was really far away so I rang him up from a pay phone in the foyer of a club and rambled drunkenly about how female robots sounded more human-like than male robots.

Or another NYE in Newcastle where at 10 minutes to 12 we realised that we wanted to be by the water to see the fireworks down over the Harbour. So we sprinted as fast as we could down the main street (me with some very impractical cork platforms on, and a lot of Vodka and V inside me) and made it to the foreshore *right* on midnight. We were watching, and I remember one pissy little firework going off. We shouted to the world at large that it was a very lame firework display, and were told off by someone and informed that the firework display was at 9pm, and that was just a flare from a cruise boat, and happy new year. Hee hee hee! What a let downt hat was! And then, because I'd drunk 3 bottles of V with my vodka that evening, I didn't sleep for the first two nights of the New Year and was in a zombie state and kept balefully informing people that I had, like, totally lost the power of sleeping.

But the best New Years Eve so far? Well, that would be this one! The material things are all good: got some beautiful Danish fetta, a cake fresh out of the oven, I'm frosty cool in the air-conditioned comfort of my mums house, got some great pirated dvd's from my sister Jess, and even a glass of wine (I don't think I'm going to be able to finish it though!).

But you know, it's the bigger things that are making this New Years Eve the best ever! This time around, I'm so excited about what the new year holds! I've got this great new job, which I'm really starting to enjoy. The job pays well, so that a future in which I am debt-free is finally on the horizon! I'm moving soon into a fabulous old house with my beautiful beautiful friend Shelley! I'm going to be doing a brilliant TAFE course starting in February which will be setting me up for my dream career, and I'm psyched about that! As soon I move down to Sydney I'll be able to get right back into being planted in church and serving in the house, and meeting lots of fab people. I can't wait to grow more and more in God's word and find out more about what His plan for me is, and just to reflect more and more of His love on those in my world. This year I was baptised in the Holy Spirit, and I can't wait to see what effect that will have on my life! I'm so excited! I feel like the next two years will be real foundation-laying, ground-breaking years for me! So bring it on! I've never been so excited to see what the future is going to bring!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

where does one start. clearly alcohol was a bit of an issue in your formative years. you have had some awesome new years though, no NYE's stick out thats much for me... last night was spent at a party at Sal Dennis house (smile and nod intently if you are reading this and were there too) never imagined that i would spend new years playing twister and racing games on x-box, but twas way cool. quite excited for you amy.. sounds like the year ahead will bring all you have dreamed, thats the beauty of Living THIS life.. you always feel that your wildest will come true. The path you have chosen to walk comes with great responsibility and awesome rewards. hope to see you soon.

allthatcrazytatelove

Clovergirl said...

Nicely done Tate! Should I point out to the internet at large that I don't drink anymore and that I struggled in vain to get through even one measly glass of wine this year? Oh yes, and I also gave up playing Twister when I was TEN YEARS OLD!! ;-)

Unknown said...

That's SAD!!! You gave up playing twister? WILLINGLY???? No, Ermie, that can't be right!